Louise Page Academy

Saturday 10 September 2011

Colour Creation at its best... Illamasqua.



Approximately a year ago I became slightly obsessive with Illamasqua products, their store and increasingly, their journey as a training school. A year on, I'm in lust. Makeup for your ultra ego is not a phase, fad or fleeting marketing strapline, its a simple fact. I digress. I am standing at the Illasmasqua's Beak Street Store, London, ready to indulge in some colour therapy.

Slightly nervous as to whom might be in the class, I am greeted by Daniel who has been with Illamasqua since the birth of the training school in 2010, a blonde haired, slender, blue eyed fully fledged tutor by day, drag by night. Who better other than David Horne (whom I shall refer to as Sir David from hereafter) to teach this creative and inspirational masterclass.

As a makeup artist, there is always a chance of suffering the "I am slightly inferior to others' syndrome as eye up who's who in the class. Its low key, there are 5 of us from all different walks of life. Daniel leaps into an intro, a presentation and then a demo using pencils. That's right, pencils. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of trying any of the Illamasqua products, pencils are labelled generically for good reason. Any pencil, any place, any where, any time. There are no rules with these pencils which can be a primer, contouring aid, highlighting diva and a colour base. Creamy and slightly waxy, these beauties glide on effortlessly, seamlessly and blend well.

We are off to a good start, I have long left my makeup ego behind and throw myself whole heartedly to the mercy of Daniel and the class members, I'm thirsty to learn, watch, absorb and try. I'm back at school and it feels great.

We switch partners, as an odd numbered team, I get to indulge myself in the mirror and quickly move onto the cream pigments complimented by the loose pigments, blending the tones to create something unique and different. I am having the most fabulous time. I see the foundations, the new skin base collection and I turn my affection into creating a flawless, slightly illuminating base and marvel at its coverage. Im thirsty for more, I need-I-have-to-have these on my face and in my kit.

Before I know it, the class bells ring and times up. Daniel so kindly lets me steal my table collection to show the front of house so I can purchase my goodies. One thing that strikes me as value for money is the discount program for professionals. It makes my kit affordable, diverse that serves me well. Every penny I spend on my career, my kit needs to be reflected in my work. Today I felt I became a little better at what I do and a stack of products I know will assist me to do just that.

Thanks Illamasqua, I'll be back.


The lovely Rebecca McMahon as my model today...

No comments:

Post a Comment